Re: Apache re-installation.

Subject: Re: Apache re-installation.
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Mon Apr 08 2002 - 07:49:13 AKDT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Gribbin" <jgribbin@alaska.net>
To: "Mark-Nathaniel Weisman" <mark@infinitevisions.ws>
Cc: "aklug" <aklug@aklug.org>
Sent: Monday, April 08, 2002 1:26 AM

> Sorry Mark,
>
> You're over my head on that one. Maybe someone else on the list is up on
> Apache. I did find this however, if it helps.

Funny, I got the reply but not the original...

> On Sat, 2002-04-06 at 17:30, Mark-Nathaniel Weisman wrote:
> >
> > This time I'll put a last name!
> >
> > Jim Gribbin,
> > I installed the latest Apache webserver software, (snip)

I've been playing with the brand new 2.0.35 this weekend. Is that the
version you installed? Did you compile it yourself, or did you get a
pre-compiled binary?

If you upgraded to 2.0.35, then you'll have to go through your old 1.3.x
httpd.conf file and edit it. There are some differences in how modules are
called, etc. Go to [your server URL]/manual/ to see if the manual for 2.x
was installed when you upgraded. That explains a lot of the differences.

On a SuSE 7.3 box and an OpenBSD 3.0 box, I ended up commenting out
references to loaded modules, but they work anyway. I haven't gone through
the documentation thoroughly yet to find out why. (There is a new "dynamic
module" concept that does it automatically I think.)

Anyway, there are some standard spots that httpd.conf lives in, depending on
the distribution. You might try /etc/httpd/ first, or just go to / and do a
find for it.

Cheers,

James

(PS - anyone else running 2.0.35 on OpenBSD please give me a shout)