Re: DHCP and multiple NICS

Subject: Re: DHCP and multiple NICS
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Fri Mar 29 2002 - 14:55:39 AKST

On Thu, 28 Mar 2002, Jeremy Hodder wrote:

> Form my understanding you only need shared-network if you are
> run multiple subnet on one interface.
> http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=dhcp-server&m=99589941011892&w=2
> Am i wrong? I'll find out this weekend when I have time to work on
> it :-) And I'm lost on the second part. I just took the orginal
> dhcp.conf copy it. added in other subnet.

You've got me there, I'm not sure if your definition is the intended use or
not. I've always segmented my conf file according to domain, though, and
hence used the shared-network to cover multiple subnets. It'll probably work
either way.

As for the second part, just think about it: the routers option defines your
gateway, so that the hosts know where to send traffic for hosts off your local
subnet. If you give them the .1 subnet router, but are assigning them .3
subnet addresses, how do you expect them to route traffic off the network?
They can't contact the gateway because they have no route to the gateway
itself.

And the final recommendation is for your name servers. You're running name
servers on your gateway. Bind, by default, listens on all interfaces, so you
can give the .3 subnet hosts the .3 interface address for the name server.
Doing this will save you some headaches down the road should you decide to
isolate both subnets from each other. If you do that, your current name
server address will be unreachable by the .3 subnet.

        --Arthur Corliss