Re: Best way to ZERO a harddrive

Subject: Re: Best way to ZERO a harddrive
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Thu Mar 28 2002 - 17:33:57 AKST

On Thu, 2002-03-28 at 15:48, Mike Barsalou wrote:

> I have some drives that I want to blank out. What is the best way to zero a
> harddrive?
>
> Would this work ok:
>
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hdx
>
> x being whatever drive I was going to do it to?
>
> Mike

I am not sure if you want to make it appear like there is a clean hard drive or do a 'wipe'
so the NSA can't read it. 'fdisk' (linux) has an option to write a empty partition table to a drive,
thus making it appear empty. 'fdisk /mbr' with a dos boot disk will make a Linux drive appear empty,
writes an empty dos partition table. There is a 'wipe' program in Linux, you tell it how many passes to make,
that clears things up a bit.

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.