Re: smoothwall ppoe

Subject: Re: smoothwall ppoe
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Wed Mar 27 2002 - 21:17:42 AKST

On 27 Mar 2002, Greg Madden wrote:
> Anyone using Smoothwall with ppoe. I would like to try ACS dsl if my
> smoothwall box can make the switch painlessly :) Currently uisn gci &
> dhcp.

I had smoothwall running as a firewall on MTA's DSL using pppoe. Works
great, except MTA's DSL likes to drop offline briefly, which it doesn't
seem to recover well from. (That's with a generic smoothwall install, no
attempts to "fix" the problem.) A Linksys firewall/router also works
painlessly, except when the DSL drops and reconnects, it also reconnects.