Re: Rackmount Servers

Subject: Re: Rackmount Servers
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Sat Mar 23 2002 - 13:54:36 AKST

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Mike Tibor wrote:
> Have any of you purchased rackmount servers in the past year or so? Those
> who have, did you go big name (Dell, Compaq, etc.) or did you buy from a
> smaller vendor? Or did you build your own?

We've bought mostly rackmounts. Have several Sun 250s (8u I think), a
couple Compaq DL380G2 (2u), a homemade 4u dual 1G P3, plus a Dell
Poweredge 2u one. So far everything has been fine, except for a few minor
problems: Our homemade one, Abit m/b, had two defective boards in a row.
One Sun 250 had a bad set of DIMMs in it (three of the four), and Compaq
rails take a lot of hammering and drilling to fit to a standard 19" rack.

The Dell and Compaqs are both dual P3 systems, all SCSI/RAID, redundant
power, etc. The Dell was ~$7k, while the Compaqs were both ~$3500 (which
is why we bought them - same config, half the price). I also like Compaq's
SmartStart CD setup for installing them... I'm trying to push them away
from the Sun 250 boxes, and into either 220's or 420's (2u), so we can use
external disk; then I can try to get us a spare server...