Re: Server?

Subject: Re: Server?
From: Craig Callender (craigc@corith.com)
Date: Fri Mar 15 2002 - 01:27:04 AKST

What? Slackware is just an all around great OS to run on ANY computer.
Got that mister, ANY computer, not just low end *grin*. I am just joking.
Just one of those adimate Slack Fans.

-- Craig

Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2002 20:14:30 -0900
From: Richard Mckinney <mckinney@gci.net>
To: bryan@ak.net
Cc: aklug@aklug.org

Most Distros have installation floppy images on the CD.
Just use rawrite.exe (dos/Win) or dd (*nix) the images to a floppy.
The rawrite utility is usually included with the distrobutions also.

One caveat (sp?), I have heard that some of the Distributions
installation kernels are compiled for the later (faster) CPUs. Try
Slack. I think the stock Slackware install kernel will run on a 386.
It would be a great Distro to run on limited hardware anyway.

Rich

bryan@ak.net wrote:

> Adam Elkins wrote in <3C90BFCF.2010407@yahoo.com>:
> >

> > Also, I can't seem to get an OS on it, It had win95, and I tried
> > Slackware (Cannot boot cdrom)
>
> Not all BIOSes support booting from a cdrom (especially on 486s).
> Does it boot any other CDs? Are there BIOS settings?
>
> I've had trouble booting my ChepBytes Slackware cdrom on my K6-2
> and a pentium, even though I've verified it on another machine.
>
> --
> Bryan Medsker
> bryan@ak.net

        In the beginning there was data. The data was without form and
null, and darkness was upon the face of the console; and the Spirit of
IBM was moving over the face of the market. And DEC said, "Let there
be registers"; and there were registers. And DEC saw that they
carried; and DEC separated the data from the instructions. DEC called
the data Stack, and the instructions they called Code. And there was
evening and there was morning, one interrupt.
                -- Rico Tudor, "The Story of Creation or, The Myth of Urk"