Re: buying a laptop

Subject: Re: buying a laptop
From: Anthony Valentine (amv@akvalentine.com)
Date: Thu Mar 07 2002 - 17:44:09 AKST

I have a Sony Vaio PCG-FX250 that is running linux. For the most part
it works fine, but there are a few problems with it.

 * USB doesn't work with Linux (at least I've not gotten it to work)
 * The floppy drive is USB based, so it doesn't work
 * It has a Win modem
 * Power management doesn't work quite right in Linux.

Asside from those, it works rather well. The DVD/CDRW combo drive works
for both DVD movies and writing CD's (especialy nice since the floppy
doesn't work). I haven't tried the built-in firewire port, so I don't
know if it works or not.

Anthony