Re: Friday Nites @ APU

Subject: Re: Friday Nites @ APU
From: Fielder George Dowding (fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.net)
Date: Tue Mar 05 2002 - 02:26:09 AKST

Greetings former APULUG'ers! I spoke to a faculty member of the
engineering department at UAA to find out if he would consider
sponsoring a Linux "Club". Then I talked to my son George and he
thought there might be one of the faculty in the CS Department who
might sponsor such a club. There are certain formalities to
establishing a club at UAA just like APU. I understood Donovan was
the university's sponsor for the club, so when he left, absent a new
sponsor, I knew it would be a matter of time before the ax fell.

The other side is the students at UAA who would have to petition to
have a club recognized. I think the minimum is three: president,
secretary, and treasurer. One member, a student, has to represent
the club at the Club Council meetings. Club Council is the place to
get money from the student fees. Well, that may be enough to scare
everyone away from UAA, but that is what being a "club" on a
university campus is all about.

I believe an "UAA-Linux/BSD" club could benefit students and most
certainly the faculty. It would be well to have a list of benefits
of such a club no matter where or under what auspices the next
informal installfest gathers. I couldn't make all the Fridays, but I
sure benefitted when I could, and I may even have helped someone in
turn.

The first Friday of the month is reserved for me to attend the
Anchorage Amateur Radio Club's general meeting. Thus, I will be
unable to be with you at Guidos this Friday. Keep me informed.