More Security

Subject: More Security
From: Mike Barsalou (mbarsalou@aidea.org)
Date: Fri Mar 01 2002 - 10:37:01 AKST

Since we are playing with phpmyadmin, et al. I thought this an appropriate
announcement. Notice the section on how to fix it without upgrading.

Mike

Subject: Threat Information Advisory: CERT Advisory CA-2002-05
Multiple Vulnerabilities in PHP fileupload

CERT Advisory CA-2002-05 Multiple Vulnerabilities in PHP fileupload

   Original release date: February 27, 2002
   Last revised: --
   Source: CERT/CC

   A complete revision history can be found at the end of this file.

Systems Affected

     * Web servers running PHP

Overview

   Multiple vulnerabilities exist in the PHP scripting language. These
   vulnerabilities could allow a remote attacker to execute arbitrary
   code with the privileges of the PHP process.

I. Description

   PHP is a scripting language widely used in web development. PHP can be
   installed on a variety of web servers, including Apache, IIS, Caudium,
   Netscape and iPlanet, OmniHTTPd and others. Vulnerabilities in the
   php_mime_split function may allow an intruder to execute arbitrary
   code with the privileges of the web server. For additional details,
   see

     http://security.e-matters.de/advisories/012002.html

   Web servers that do not have PHP installed are not affected by this
   vulnerability.

   The CERT/CC is tracking this set of vulnerabilities as VU#297363. At
   this time, these vulnerabilities have not been assigned a CVE
   identifier.

II. Impact

   Intruders can execute arbitrary code with the privileges of the web
   server, or interrupt normal operations of the web server.

III. Solution

Apply a Patch

   Upgrade to PHP version 4.1.2, available from

     http://www.php.net/do_download.php?download_file=php-4.1.2.tar.gz

   If upgrading is not possible, apply patches as described at
   http://www.php.net/downloads.php:
   * For PHP 4.10/4.11

http://www.php.net/do_download.php?download_file=rfc1867.c.diff-4.1.x.gz
   * For PHP 4.06

http://www.php.net/do_download.php?download_file=rfc1867.c.diff-4.0.6.gz
   * For PHP 3.0
     http://www.php.net/do_download.php?download_file=mime.c.diff-3.0.gz

   If you are using version 4.20-dev, you are not affected by this
   vulnerability. Quoting from
   http://security.e-matters.de/advisories/012002.htm:

     "[U]sers running PHP 4.2.0-dev from cvs are not vulnerable to any
     of the described bugs because the fileupload code was completly
     rewritten for the 4.2.0 branch."

Disable fileuploads

   If upgrading is not possible or a patch cannot be applied, you can
   avoid these vulnerabilities by disabling fileupload support. Edit the
   PHP configuration file php.ini as follows:

     file_uploads = off

   Note that this setting only applies to version 4.0.3 and above.
   However, this will prevent you from using fileuploads, which may not
   be acceptable in your environment.

Appendix A. - Vendor Information

   This appendix contains information provided by vendors for this
   advisory. When vendors report new information to the CERT/CC, we
   update this section and note the changes in our revision history. If a
   particular vendor is not listed below, we have not received their
   comments.

Apache Software Foundation

   Information about this vulnerability is available from
   http://www.php.net

FreeBSD

   FreeBSD does not include any version of PHP by default, and so is not
   vulnerable. However, the FreeBSD Ports Collection does contain both
   PHP3 and PHP4 packages. Updates to the PHP packages are in progress
   and corrected packages will be available in the near future.

MandrakeSoft

   MandrakeSoft distributes PHP in all distributions and we are currently
   working on patching our versions of PHP for Linux-Mandrake 7.1 and
   7.2; Mandrake Linux 8.0, 8.0/ppc, 8.1, and 8.1/ia64; Single Network
   Firewall 7.2; Corporate Server 1.0.1.

   We anticipate having the updates out by the end of the week.

Microsoft

   We do not use PHP in any products.

NCSA

   NCSA does not include PHP as an add-in or bundled component in any
   products distributed.

Red Hat

   Red Hat was notified of this issue on 27th February 2002. All
   supported versions of Red Hat Linux ship with PHP packages that are
   affected by these vulnerabilities. We will shortly be releasing errata
   packages which contain patched versions that are not vulnerable. The
   errata packages and our advisory will be available on our web site at
   the URL below. At the same time users of the Red Hat Network will be
   able to update their systems to patched versions using the up2date
   tool.

          http://www.redhat.com/support/errata/RHSA-2002-035.html

   The CERT Coordination Center thanks Stefan Esser, upon whose advisory
   this document is largely based.

   Author: Shawn V. Hernan

Appendix B. - References

    1. http://www.kb.cert.org/vuls/id/297363