Re: kernel options and debug mode

Subject: Re: kernel options and debug mode
From: Craig Callender (craigc@corith.com)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 12:27:05 AKST

Are you using lilo for your boot loader?

If so, there is a place for command line options in the lilo.conf

try man lilo for more info.

Craig

Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 11:50:28 -0900
From: Grant Stockly <grant@stockly.com>
To: aklug@aklug.org
Subject: kernel options and debug mode

If I forget to type 'linux hdc=bswap' when the computer starts, is there a
way to enable byte swapping through something like hdparm? I looked at the
hdparm man page and it didn't reference to hdparm.

In file /proc/ide/hdX/settings there is an option bswap that is on a normal
machine '0'. My TiVo uses stupid byte swapping so when I copy the mpeg
video files off the hard drive I need everything to be byte swapped on the
ide transfers.

Also, if I drop the machine into the debugger, pull the power on the ide
drive, pull the data cable, and then drop out of debug mode will the
computer go crazy?

I've been hot swapping scsi drives on Macintoshes like this for about 5
years now. As long as the drive was unmounted, all went well.

Grant

        In the beginning there was data. The data was without form and
null, and darkness was upon the face of the console; and the Spirit of
IBM was moving over the face of the market. And DEC said, "Let there
be registers"; and there were registers. And DEC saw that they
carried; and DEC separated the data from the instructions. DEC called
the data Stack, and the instructions they called Code. And there was
evening and there was morning, one interrupt.
                -- Rico Tudor, "The Story of Creation or, The Myth of Urk"