Re: Samba presentation

Subject: Re: Samba presentation
From: Arthur Corliss (arthur@corlissfamily.org)
Date: Sun Feb 24 2002 - 01:55:08 AKST

> On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Mike Barsalou wrote:
> > Next month's meeting will feature a Samba presentation. We will discuss the
> > use of Samba in the workplace and go over key ideas on how to implement it.
>
> I know this is a project I've been trying to get moving on. Seems Windows
> XP and NetApp Filers do *not* play nicely together, and the solution seems
> to be "you should install a domain server". An excellent item to cover may
> be installing Samba so it "becomes" a Windows 2000 domain server.
>
> I know that, even after following the Samba-PDC How-To, I have been unable
> to get Windows 2000 clients to log into the "domain" I created. Some hints
> and tips from people that have managed this would be most welcome; I may
> even be able to swing bringing a box by to use as a "training aide" :-)

A few quick tips: You must add an account for the *host* to your UNIX passwd
file (and the host name should have a '$' suffix). You then need to add root
to your samba password file (no, I didn't like that either, but you can do it
just long enough to add a host to the domain). Finally, when you configure W2K
to log into the domain, it will contact the PDC and as for an account that has
the privileges to add it to the domain. Give it the root info, and viola!
you're now part of the domain.

--

--Arthur Corliss Bolverk's Lair -- http://arthur.corlissfamily.org/ Digital Mages -- http://www.digitalmages.com/ "Live Free or Die, the Only Way to Live" -- NH State Motto