Re: usb ethernet devices...

Subject: Re: usb ethernet devices...
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Tue Feb 19 2002 - 20:03:44 AKST

On 19 Feb 2002, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> BTW - RH7.1 didn't support usb ethernet? I don't remember trying RH 7.1
> with usb ethernet, but it came with the 2.4.2 kernel and I thought that
> all the 2.4 kernel series supported it. At least for selected
> interfaces.
>
> Jim

We had a lot of trouble with RH7.1 at a LAN party - turned out that (for
Seawolf anyway) you needed the 2.4.12 or 2.4.13 kernels, which had just
come out at the time, and we weren't in the mood to download at 56K &
compile. The specific module we needed was kaweth.o, which didn't work at
all. D-Link and a lot of other manufacturers used kaweth.o. At the time
I found a big notice on the RedHat site that said USB ethernet was not
supported, but I can't find it now that the RH7.2 stuff has replaced
everything.

I suppose the thing to do is put RH7.1 on a box and experiment, but all I
have available to test is a D-Link dongle which I already know won't work.

Cheers,

James