Re: oops...

Subject: Re: oops...
From: James Zuelow (e5z8652@zuelow.net)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 20:49:00 AKST

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Jim wrote:

> use rdev (or its variations-- man rdev). designed for the task

Man rdev says that it is only useful for i386 - I need to hack a PowerPC
zImage, and when I try rdev it doesn't work. rdev says that information
is stored at specific bits in the image, and I'm guessing that a PowerPC
image has a different layout. I can't find reference to a specific
PowerPC tool like rdev (not to mention a PReP specific tool - the 6015 is
a PReP box, not CHRP or New World).

Has anyone used a regular hex editor to hack image files? I can open up
the image, but I can't find a string that says "/dev/ram" or "/dev/fd0"
anywere. So I'm guessing (based on rdev's man page) that there is a code
I need to know. /dev/sda3 might be 0x503 or something. Without knowing
where to look or what the codes are I might be out of luck though. Hmm.

Cheers,

James