Re: e-mail server working! (partly)

Subject: Re: e-mail server working! (partly)
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Sat Feb 16 2002 - 08:44:20 AKST

On Sat, 16 Feb 2002, Craig Callender wrote:
> Putting acsalaska.net in there is NOT a good idea. Now, every single DSL
> user can use your mailserver to send out mail (or spam). If they catch
> you sending spam from your account they will disconnect you.

Okay - that explains why it works: Anyone with a acsalaska.net hostname is
seen as being a local host... I'm fighting similar probs on a cable modem
- if I try to use smtp.alaskatech.org as my outgoing server, it fails with
'relaying not allowed', but if I use smtp.gci.net it works. Adding
anchorageak.net (which is the domain name auto-assigned to cable modem
users) to relay-domains allows things to work.

One error I get in my mail.log is that my system, which looks like
'cable-<ip address>. anchorageak.net', is trying to advertise itself as
'erwin.alaskatech.org'. Is this conflict perhaps related to the problem?

> So, if you have an internal network on your DSL line, you will want to add
> that network to your access file like this. Say your computers IP is
> 192.168.1.2 and you want everything on your network to be able to relay:
>
> 192.168.1. RELAY
>
> That will allow any IP that starts with that address to relay.
>
> Just some food for thought.

Unfortunately, I'm not running an internal network, so I can get any of a
number of IPs; I don't think putting '24.237.' in there as relay would be
good :-)