Re: Help regarding linux on a sparc20....

Subject: Re: Help regarding linux on a sparc20....
From: Jim (jwadell@gci.net)
Date: Fri Feb 15 2002 - 18:38:19 AKST

Craig Hasund wrote:

> Does anyone have experience using linux (any flavor) on a SUN sparc platform
> (specifically Sparc20)? I've noticed that the gui for solaris significantly
> slows the machine down and am interested in either turning it off (not sure
> if that's possible) or installing linux without the Xserver stuff.
>
> Any thoughts or ideas?
>
> --- Craig Hasund

I set one up using one for quite a while, and am impressed with the
performance. If you do not want to use X, edit /etc/inittab . find the line
id:5:initdefault:

change the 5 to 3 (multiuser without X), then (as root) do init 3. This bring
the box to level 3. No x, character cell interface. Also look at what window
manager you are using. Kde is big, and will eat a bunch of resource. xfce is
very small and fast, and works well here.

Jim