Re: Firewall info

Subject: Re: Firewall info
From: Christopher S. Swingley (cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 20:35:46 AKST

Mike,

> I am getting packets from a machine that is source port 80 and Destination
> port 1440.
>
> Why would someone's machine from port 80 want to contact mine?

I don't know what port 1440 is, but people sometimes use source port
80 for outgoing connections so they can defeat their organization's
firewall rules. I've seen this listed in the configuration help for
sharing protocols under headings like "How to get through your system
administrator's firewall."

So maybe it's someone looking for another Gnutella / freenet machine?

Chris

--
Christopher S. Swingley             phone: 907-474-2689
Computer / Network Manager          email: cswingle@iarc.uaf.edu