Re: root pswd? (HOWTO: for GRUB and LILO)

Subject: Re: root pswd? (HOWTO: for GRUB and LILO)
From: James Bagley Jr. (james@thelostnet.net)
Date: Mon Feb 11 2002 - 13:43:09 AKST

From the GRUB menu enter the command mode by pressing 'c'

specify the root or boot disk (the one with the kernel on it)

> root(hd0,0)

NOTE: GRUB isn't smart enuf to distinguish between scsi and ide, the
first disk is determined by your BIOS settings and your jumper settings.

next, you need to tell GRUB where the kernel is (and any arguments you
want passed to the kernel).

> kernel /boot/vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1 init=/bin/bash

finally, boot the system.

> boot

GRUB is kewl because it is 'filesystem aware' and can boot any kernel on
any filesystem, not just ones that are in a config file. It also does tab
completion on most things in command mode. No 'ls' command, which I find
odd, but it will display files in a directory when you hit tab like:

> kernel /boot/<tab>

Cheers!

-james