RE: General opinion wanted

Subject: RE: General opinion wanted
From: James Bagley Jr. (james@thelostnet.net)
Date: Thu Feb 07 2002 - 15:39:17 AKST

I have done lots of technical testing. I hold an MCSE for nt4 systems
(although I don't normally admit to it), LPI level1 (levels 2/3 were not
out when I took the tests), SAIR Linux, and CompTIA A+ (I don't usually
admit to this one either).

How accurate are these test in determining actual skill? IMHO, they are
generally not good. After taking all of these tests I am far less
impressed with anyone that advocates them as 'accurate'. With the
possible exception of the LPI exam, none of these exams do a very good job
of determining how skillfull someone may be. The microsoft exams seem to
be geared more towards selling microsoft to the test taker than anything
else. The LPI exams were hard, but fair. The SAIR exams had too much
engrish in them (translated from english to chinese to english?) and were
very difficult to decipher, but technically trivial. A+ is... well... I
was forced into taking that by my employer at the time, didn't even study
and still passed with a pretty high score. If you have an afternoon and
$150 to kill some obscure employer might actually be impressed.

These certifications have almost certainly helped me gain employment.
They look good on my resume and most employers just eat it up. Having
some college and/or some experience to go with your certifications is a
must. Don't expect anyone to hire you based solely on a few exams.

--
... Any resemblance between the above views and those of my employer,
my terminal, or the view out my window are purely coincidental.  Any