Re: news server

Subject: Re: news server
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Mon Feb 04 2002 - 22:13:19 AKST

On Mon, 4 Feb 2002, Jeremy Hodder wrote:

> > Can you elaborate a bit more on your plans?

> Plans no plans.I'd just like to be able to say I can set one up. That's
> all. Just like the mail server just got bored and did it. There was a lot
> more info on setting up a mail server .

That's definitely a great way to learn about things! Probably close to
half of the things I've got going at the Library started out as things I
just thought would be cool to learn about.

Since you're not going to have a full news feed plus a thousand nntp
clients hammering the server at any given time, whatever hardware you have
running Linux on now is perfectly adequate to setup INN on. Several years
ago I setup INN on an old 386 and actually ran several local newsgroups on
it. It worked beautifully for the 5 people who used it.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax