Re: mail security

Subject: Re: mail security
From: james (zuelow@gci.net)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 21:34:27 AKST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jeremy Hodder" <asjdh26@yahoo.com>
To: <aklug@aklug.org>
Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2002 9:19 PM
Subject: mail security

> I just setup postfix on my Linux box running Trustix Secure Linux 1.5.
What
> kind of security issues do I have to worry about.

Not many, as Postfix is pretty good out of the box. You just need to take
a look at the main.cf file.

To prevent an open relay, you have a couple of options. If you're going
to be accepting outbound mail from just your local LAN, you can set
mynetworks to the ip range (192.168.x.x, or whatever you're using). If
you'll be accepting mail from outside your LAN (say, you want to send mail
from work via your mail server at home) then set up the relay_domains for
your work. I would not do that though, and would instead use
authentication, which is discussed here:

http://www.thecabal.org/~devin/postfix/smtp-auth.txt

If you have Windows machines on your LAN, you can also set up Amavis to
scan incoming/outgoing mail. (Take a look at this message's headers.)

Cheers,

James