RE: SCRIPT KIDDIES! Beware..

Subject: RE: SCRIPT KIDDIES! Beware..
From: Grant Stockly (grant@stockly.com)
Date: Sun Feb 03 2002 - 12:37:52 AKST

>I had people scan me for weeks. I even had the phone # to CGI's head
>security dude (ex-Air Force Unix guy) and they did absolutely nothing. My
>scan logs were up to 30MB in size a day...plenty of "evidence". This was on
>a Slackware 7.0 firewall with all ports locked down. The scanners were just
>harassing me and being annoying. IMHO GCI's view on security is pretty
>lame. That one security guy I talked to said he's the "only security person
>they have" and he "get's a couple hundred emails on Mondays". Sounds to me
>like they need to hire some more people.

The world stops turning when their static IP database needs rebuilding and
they don't have information on whose IP is on what cable modem. Will they
spend the time to call someone? They claim to, but its quicker to just
disable the cable modem. That sure gets a call from me. Then they have
the nerve to tell me they aren't going to charge for a setup fee on my 2
year old IP!

I can't even begin to imagine how hard it would be to run a server on ACS's
dsl...