Re: The Dark Side - My (completely different) take

Subject: Re: The Dark Side - My (completely different) take
From: Mac Mason (macmasta@ak.net)
Date: Tue Jan 29 2002 - 19:41:30 AKST

Ahh, politics!
(Hooray?)
I got a completely differnet feel for what an "insider" is.
I don't think buying off Alan Cox is in their game plan.
Instead, they've (finally) recognized Linux (and, presumably, the *BSDs)
as a real competitor to their OS - look at what IBM is doing, as well as
Compaq (ComHPaq?), with selling servers with Linux pre-installed, to
support a wintel enduser.
I think a Linux "insider" is a linux-skilled and linux-trained
sales/tech guy who can point out the problems with linux installs in
server farms. (Linux ain't perfect, folks...remember?) Not only that,
but the "insider" has enough knowledge and experience to be able to
out-argue the IT staff so the higher-ups think that the Wintel solution
is better than the linux solution.
Just a new group of workers, not spies.

~Mac~