Re: UNIX / Telnet Question - Keeping a process running

Subject: Re: UNIX / Telnet Question - Keeping a process running
From: James Bagley Jr. (james@thelostnet.net)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 22:02:46 AKST

How to run a command in unix in the background unattached to your
terminal:

nohup command &

You can now exit from your telnet/ssh session and the command will
continue to run. Since this is, specifically, an ftp process i like to
use lftp as it does this automagically.

$ lftp ftp.cdrom.com
> cd /pub
> get file
^Z
> quit
[7217] Moving to background to complete transfers...

now the only way for lftp to die is if you kill it or if the download
finnishes. It is quite the persistent little program too (reconnects and
continues after a disconnect, etc...).

Cheers!

-james

--