Re: UNIX / Telnet Question - Keeping a process running

Subject: Re: UNIX / Telnet Question - Keeping a process running
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 20:09:53 AKST

On 24 Jan 2002, Mac Mason wrote:

> Well, the fileserver runs headless, and I talk to it with SSH.
> I ssh in, fire up ftp, start the download, then go to turn the desktop
> off.
> Of course, I realize, that's going to end my ssh session and stop the
> download.
>
> How do I keep this process running without leaving the desktop on?

If you have ncftp on the server, all you have to do is type:

 bgget <filename>

That queues the file for download, and when you quit it will run the
download in the background. You can confirm this by doing a "ps ax" and
you should see a process called ncftpbatch or something like that.

Doing it this way will allow you to safely end your ssh session without
killing the download. I'm sure there are other ways, but that way works
great for me.

Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax