Re: Checking 'hlt' instruction

Subject: Re: Checking 'hlt' instruction
From: Greg Madden (pabi@gci.net)
Date: Wed Jan 23 2002 - 00:03:06 AKST

Jeremy Hodder wrote:

> I've tried 3 different distributions and they all stoped, or kernel paniced at Checking 'hlt' instruction... any ideas what wold cause this to happens. Memtest works and returns no errors.
>
> Jeremy
>
> If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside.
> Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine

I found this reference to 'hlt', no idea if it applies in your case and
use at your own risk.. :)

From
:http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/kharker/linux-tm4000m/general-install.html

A simple workaround is to add a "no-hlt" option to the LILO boot command
line, and later add it to the /etc/lilo.conf
file like in the following entry :

# Linux standard bootable partition config begins
image = /vmlinuz
  root = /dev/hda2
  label = Linux
  append = "no-hlt"
# Linux standard bootable partition config ends

--
Greg Madden
Precision Air Balance, Inc.