Re: Via C3...

Subject: Re: Via C3...
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 12:44:33 AKST

On Friday 11 January 2002 09:19 pm, Joshua J.Kugler wrote:
> I've had my interest piqued recently in Via's C3 CPU. One problem: it's
> next to impossible to find someone who sells them retail. The only one
> I've found so far is TigerDirect, and besides their horrendous shipping to
> AK, they aren't always the best to work with.
>
> Does anyone know of a good retail outlet for these chips? I've looked all
> over the place. Any ideas?
>
> Thanks.
>
> j----- k-----

www.aaronix.com has the ECS board with the C3 and the VIA Chipset (MIcro-ATX
size) and it is a nice drop-in for superannuated all-in-ones. In fact they
have a micro-tower system using the C3 for under $300 inclusive of all but
the OS and monitor. Their shipping is horrendous, but they do come
referenced well by linuxbios.org. AFAIK they do not sell chips without the
boards. Anyway, the board with a C3 733 delivered pergformance
indistinguishable from a Dell GX110 with a Pentium III 733 except it uses a
_lot_ less power.

http://www.nexcom.com/3-news/press_release/news20011130.html

Has a really small board using a C3 at 800MHz--the footprint is the same as a
3.5" Hdd. Now if they would put two network interfaces on it... Can anyone
say "stateful router"?

Jetway has boards using the C3 and will take dorect orders for as small as
qty 5.

The contacts in the US given by VIA all do not pan out, as you probably
already knew. Most sales I have seen come with a C3 soldered onto a
motherboard, and the appropriate VIA chipset with it. Looks great for a
high-end embedded market if anyone could get prototyping equipment.

Civileme