Re: Traveling w/ hardware

Subject: Re: Traveling w/ hardware
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 23:01:36 AKST

On Wednesday 02 January 2002 10:23 pm, larry collier wrote:
> Modern drives automatically park the heads with power off. The last time I
> looked it up (5 years ago at least) the unpowered shock limit was 200 g's.
> In a box with bubble wrap, you could probably drop it off the plane onto
> the apron without harm.
>
> Personally I'd ship them fedex, insured. It's safer and w/o hassle.
>
> Larry
>
> 1/2/2002 6:27:52 PM, "James Gibson" <twistedhammer@subdimension.com> wrote:
> >As some of you may know, I'm moving to California later this month
> >(the 23rd)... I'll be flying down, and shipping my stuff down later, but
> >I was thinking of carrying my hard-drive from my main box with me
> >along with some of the cards from that machine. Not trusting
> >anyone to NOT drop my bags exorbitant distances, I was hoping to
> >carry these on the plane in my carry-on. My question is this: I've
> >heard tales of 'The New Order' airport security, and wondered if I'm
> >just asking for endless hassles here.. you can't exactly prove that
> >a hard-drive works (unless you pack a power supply too I guess)..
> >anyone have some words from the wise here?
> >
> >And on another tack, if I have to ship these in my checked
> >baggage or via FedHex, how do I make sure the heads on my HDs
> >are parked where they can't clatter against the platters when some
> >{"pimply 16 year old","badly engineering machine","disgruntled 50
> >year old"} drops my cardboard box 10 feet onto concrete?
> >

> >James Gibson
> >twistedhammer@subdimension.com
You can insure them for enough to compensate yourself for a few year's time
building the data? I lost six years worth of writing once, and no amount of
money could have compensated me for that.

However you ship them, copy them to another media (at least your vital data)
and ship it another way, and leave behind some copies with a trusted friend,
and ask someone else to keep another copy and....

The point is, if the disk melts into a puddle, will you want to jump into the
puddle?

Civileme