Re: fouled up gnome

Subject: Re: fouled up gnome
gaijin@gci.net
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 03:23:28 AKST

Jim -

It sounds like neither Nautilus or the Gnome file manager are running --
one or the other should be configured to control the desktop. (Given what
little I do know about the Ximian kit, it's probably Nautilus.)

Sounds like you should be able to fire up a terminal window, and can check
to see if nautilus is running. ( 'ps -aux | grep naut' ) IIRC, there
should be multiple nautilus processes going.

Based on tinkering on my Slack 8.0 box, it looks like you can start
nautilus from a command prompt with no immediately obvious problems - and
the following URL should give you the information needed to reset the
configuration to your liking (IE - nautilus controls the desktop, and how
to set it to start automagically.)

http://www.labs.redhat.com/gug/users-guide/nautilus.html

The added benefit of this is that if there's a missing library, or hosed
configuration, or you've irritated the gods, there will hopefully some
sort of error message displayed on the terminal window, which will give
you a jump off point.

RD

P.S. - Here's to the hopes for a grand and wonderful New Year for all..

On 31 Dec 2001, Jim Gribbin wrote:

> I was doing a little houskeeping on my mandrake 8.1 box at work Sat. and
> fouled up something with my ximian-gnome desktop.
>
> The only thing still working on the desktop itself is the panel, which
> is the only thing that keeps things working at all.
>
> The wallpaper disapeared, all the icons disappeared, and right-clicking
> on the desktop is ignored. Everything on the panel seems to be working
> normaly however.
>
> The only thing I can think of that I did that would have effected the
> desktop is to move my images folder which moved the image I was using
> for the desktop wallpaper. I used the control panel to redirect the
> pointer to the new location, but that didn't help. I wouldn't think that
> should have caused any problems like this anyhow.
>
> I could probably reinstall the desktop, but I would rather find and fix
> the problem. So, if someone has any ideas on what I should be looking
> for ...?
>
> Jim

"Open source attracts open minds. That's good." - Woz
"Unix, on the other hand, has no kernel, which is one reason the OS has
 forked into incompatible code streams."
     - Neal Leavitt, IEEE Computing Society
     http://computer.org/computer/homepage/june/ind_trends/01.htm