Re: Setting up mail server

Subject: Re: Setting up mail server
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Wed Dec 26 2001 - 13:16:59 AKST

On Wed, 26 Dec 2001, James Bagley Jr. wrote:
> I've been told that once you figure out how the syntax of the sendmail
> config file works that it is very flexible and easy to work with. Maybe
> someone else on the list could provide some more insight...
>
> I did feed some SMTP commands to your mail server with some interesting
> results:
[snip SMTP]
> Clearly, sendmail doesn't realize that it should be the final destination
> for mail sent to 'techalaska.com'. It is also advertising a host
> 'sspeedy.techalaska.com' that doesn't exist, this will cause problems when
> you try to send mail. Your mail server should advertise the hostname
> resolved by a reverse lookup of your ip address, which is:
>
> cable-186-3-237-24.anchorageak.net
>
> and, your mail server should accept delivery of mail sent to
> techalaska.com
>
> If you can figure out how to make sendmail do those two things you are in.

Actually, if I remember correctly, the sendmail install asks you what the
local mail delivery name is, and defaults to the FQDN of the system you're
installing it on, rather than the actual domain. (I tried it that way on
my first install - doesn't work!) What this probably needs is to have
sendmail removed and then reinstalled (or, on Debian, dpkg-reconfigure
sendmail <g>). Exim is a default in Debian and it exhibits the same
behavior flaw...