Re: CDrom

Subject: Re: CDrom
From: Jim Gribbin (jgribbinajs@yahoo.com)
Date: Sat Dec 22 2001 - 15:45:53 AKST

I never did get Xcdroast to talk to a regular cdrom drive. If you have
things set up wrong, it will see it - but not talk to it. At least that
was my experience.

To get an ide cd-burner and a regular cdrom drive working on the same
system, I had to modify both lilo.conf and modules.conf.

The append line in lilo.conf tells the system the it should use the
ide-scsi module. eg. "hdc=ide-scsi". This is for the ide cd-burner.

The modules.conf file also needs some additions, primarily to keep the
standard ide cd using the ide-cd module.

options ide-cd ignore=hdb # tell the ide-cd module to ignore
hdb
alias scd0 sr_mod # load sr_mod upon access of scd0
#pre-install ide-scsi modprobe imm # uncomment for some ZIP drives
only
pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sg
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi # load ide-scsi before sr_mod
pre-install ide-scsi modprobe ide-cd # load ide-cd before ide-scsi

I did read somewhere that the ide-scsi module could be used with a
standard cd-rom, but you lose dma access which slows things down. It
didn't seem to work with mine anyway.

All the details are in the cd-writing how-to.

Jim Gribbin