Determining Ethernet Link Status

Subject: Determining Ethernet Link Status
From: Mike Tibor (tibor@lib.uaa.alaska.edu)
Date: Fri Dec 21 2001 - 11:30:04 AKST

Does anyone have any idea how I would find out whether an interface is
currently in 100Mbit or 10Mbit, or full or half-duplex on a RH 6.2 system?
Unfortunately I don't have console access to the switch. I've recompiled
the net-tools-1.60 source rpm, which includes mii-tool, which is supposed
to provide this info, however I get:

 SIOCGMIIPHY on 'eth0' failed: Invalid argument

I'm guessing that mii-tool may require a 2.4.x kernel, but neither the
mii-tool.c, nor http://www.scyld.com/diag/mii-status.html give any
indication of this. Regardless, this version of mii-tool is from a RH
7.2.

It's always been a huge irritation to me that this info isn't provided by
ifconfig like it is in the BSDs I've used. Does anyone have any idea how
I might find out this info on a RH 6.2 system?

Thanks,
Mike

--
Mike Tibor         Univ. of Alaska Anchorage    (907) 786-1001 voice
Network Technician     Consortium Library         (907) 786-6050 fax