Need a drive to boot from

Subject: Need a drive to boot from
From: Julian Mason (macmasta@ak.net)
Date: Sun Dec 09 2001 - 17:08:53 AKST

Definition of a "Bad Day"
I was moving a drive in my case, and I bumped an IDE cable...when I
fired the box up, the drive didn't register, and when the raid tried to
load it, (raid-0, keep in mind) it toasted all the superblocks. Well,
since that raid is my root, I have no system at present.
"Ah-Ha!" I thought. I will just pull the linux drive out of my old
computer and use that to boot to and then rebuild the array. Well, that
worked fine. I had to put it back in the old system to get online to
figure out /etc/raidtab syntax again, and that's the last we've heard
of that drive. It didn't suffer raid failure, it just plain ol' died.
(No smoke or anything: it just doesn't work)
So now I am in a fix...I have to use my parent's win98 box until I get
this fixed.
So, of all things, I need to borrow a hard drive with a root partition,
configured for a 2.4-series kernel, and with the most recent raidtools
installed on it.

Or, if anyone has any good ideas...I have no boot disks, anymore: my
boot CD is on loan (not that it matters: it uses 2.2.19, w/o raid) and
my floppy images are on the dead disk.

Any help for a suddenly linuxless me?

:-P

~Mac~