Cross compiling tips

Subject: Cross compiling tips
From: James Zuelow (jamesz@ideafamilies.org)
Date: Mon Dec 03 2001 - 12:18:15 AKST

Hello -
    I'm trying to get Debian installed on an IBM Power Series 400
(6015-0U0). The normal Debian boot disks just hang on this machine, but I
did find some working kernels - a 2.0.33 kernel w/o file system from
LinuxPPC, and two patched 2.4 kernel boot floppies (2.4.6 & 2.4.14).
However I can't take apart the boot floppies as I'm unable to mount them. I
think they are type 41 (PReP boot) formatted, which none of my x86 boxes
understand. The good news is that there is a 2.4.14 patch for my machine,
which I have applied to stock 2.4.14 source on an x86 box.

    To replace the kernel image on the Debian rescue floppy I'll need to
compile the patched 2.4.14 kernel on an x86 machine. I have found the
cross-compiling mini-howto, but this is my first attempt at it, and this is
a semi-production machine. Does anyone on the list do cross compiling on a
regular basis, and would be willing to share gotchas and workarounds? I
don't really want to replace my current i686 kernel and/or modules with
PowerPC equivalents...

    BTW the Power Series 400's are on sale at the Juneau state surplus
outlet. Perhaps some in Anchorage. Once I get a working Debian boot floppy
set, I'd be happy to share the disk images with anyone who wants one.

    Cheers,

    James

---
Outgoing mail is scanned with AVG 6 www.grisoft.com