Re: Abit KT7A-RAID/HPT370/2.4.14 questions...

Subject: Re: Abit KT7A-RAID/HPT370/2.4.14 questions...
From: Clay Scott (mcfeelie@pobox.alaska.net)
Date: Sun Dec 02 2001 - 19:13:01 AKST

first off, my goal with this is to set up a raid array for file
storage/archiving. i have two smaller ide hard drives that my filesystem
currently occupies ide0 and a cdrom/cdrw combo on ide1. this takes up
all of my non-raid ports hence why i was hoping i could use the two raid
ports to set up my array.

so, i've read every bit of documentation on hardware and software raid i
can find as well as reviews of these solutions on the linux hardware
database and other sites. i've opted to go for a pci ata100 controller
and software raid. however, i have four drives i'd like to hook up and
the software raid howto says that connecting a master/slave combo to a
single ide channel will kill performance. unless anyone knows of a small
form factor (and small price tag) four channel ide ata100 controller,
i'm still going to be figuring out my options. hopefully the howto
exaggerates the performance hit and it'd be fine to hook up four drives
to the two channels on the card for my needs. maybe i could use two
drives on the ata100 card and each of the others on the two raid ports
since they double as single device ide ports also buying two ata100
cards for the four channels is always an option, albeit one i'd like to
avoid.

the card i'm looking at getting is the promise ultra100 controller. i've
been hard pressed to find any negative reviews of it anywhere. if any of
you guys have any other possible scenarios or hardware i should look
into, please let me know. i'm hoping to get this done shortly...

thanks
clay

--
     ,,,