Re: POP3 won't start

Subject: Re: POP3 won't start
augustus@acerbic.org
Date: Sat Dec 01 2001 - 19:32:02 AKST

POP3 doesn't run as a deamon, it's run from inetd and activated only when
a POP3 client makes a connection to port 110. You'll need to add
something like this to your /etc/inetd.conf file:
pop-3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/popper popper

the last bit should point to where you have installed popper. You'll also
need to make sure that tcpwrappers will allow pop3 connections from
everyone. Add the following to /etc/hosts.allow
popper:ALL

After saving the changes to the above files restart inetd (ie killall -HUP
inetd) and then try to connect to the server with a pop3 client and you
should be in business.

On caveat though, I've never used FreeBSD so I'm not sure how accurate the
details are but the above config works with Linux and BSDi so the exact
FreeBSD setup should be pretty close.

-Josh

"Listen: We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you
any different!" - Kurt Vonnegut

Josh Burroughs
augustus@acerbic.org
http://www.acerbic.org