Unable to find swap space signature

Subject: Unable to find swap space signature
From: Mac Mason (macmasta@ak.net)
Date: Mon Nov 26 2001 - 17:29:55 AKST

Right, so I'm working on setting up the swap space on my new system:
have a total of three hard drives in there now, although one's coming
out.
anyhow, partitioning is as follows: (partitioned used cfdisk, btw)
hda1 = /boot
hda2 = swap
hda3 = linux, to be used for raid

hde1 = swap
hde2 = linux, also for raid.

/etc/fstab has the following two lines, taken fromt the linux
software-raid howto:

/dev/hda2 sw swap defaults,pri=1 0 0
/dev/hde1 sw swap defaults,pri=1 0 0

Anyhow, I get the following message when I run swapon -a (which should
initialize all swap partitions listed in /etc/fstab, according to man)

Unable to find swap-space signature
swapon: /dev/hda2: Invalid argument
Unable to find swap-space signature
swapon: /dev/hde1: Invalid argument.

cfdisk reports these as type 82: linux swap partitions...
any idea what's going on here?

~Mac~