Re: umount

Subject: Re: umount
From: civileme (civileme@mandrakesoft.com)
Date: Sat Nov 24 2001 - 07:23:07 AKST

On Saturday 24 November 2001 12:33 am, JOHN MUELLER wrote:
> DAK,
> Seems that all this hype about "how dangerous it is to remove media
> before umounting" is pure hogwash !! Once I mount, nothing I do will
> make the device not busy. So I might as well just yank it out, because
> I try "umount -f" to try to force it, but even that doesn't work.
> Printtool doesn't work in RedHat, and magicfilter only works for Debian
> for printers. Does anyone have an "exact" sequence for umounting a
> cdrom, or a "somewhat precise" location for info to configure printers
> on RedHat and Mandrake ? Also, for wvdial, put the line "Default Reply
> = connect ppp" for UAA dialups in wvdial.conf.
> Off to the web....
> Johnny

Well for mandrake 8.1 I have the info on printers. I don't care to try to
support earlier attempts.

8.1 supports CUPS (good choice if you have networked printers on TCP/IP, and
will emulate either the client or the server for lpd), LPRng (resort to this
only if you need to print on Novell-connected printers), and PDQ (for simple
setups which pops a panic button for printer jams onto your desktop). Most
of the drivers work and the commercial 8.1 products include support for a
number of winprinters which are classified paperweight in linux-printing.org
(proprietary drivers on the commercial CDs).

The tools and wizards for 8.1 are almost self-explanatory and printers can be
set up during installation.

Civileme