IBM PowerPC & Linux (Was: IBM rs/6000 workstations available)

Subject: IBM PowerPC & Linux (Was: IBM rs/6000 workstations available)
From: James Zuelow (jfzuelow@alaska.net)
Date: Sat Nov 17 2001 - 17:27:44 AKST

From: "twistedhammer" <twistedhammer@subdimension.com>
Subject: IBM rs/6000 workstations available
Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2001 17:18:14 -0900

APU's GIS lab is getting rid of 6 IBM PowerStation 355's...
These are 42Mhz rs/6000 workstations running AIX. They have
all cables, etc and each has an IBM PowerDisplay 19 monitor,
and are in working condition. They will run X, but I was
unable to determine if they are capable of better than
Pseudo-Color.. the one I messed with had a 1gig internal
SCSI drive., I believe that IBM has a linux port to this
platform available.

IBM doesn't have a distro, they just point you at various other web
sites (SuSE & TurboLinux for example). I've been all over that web site
in the last few days. I even tried to price AIX, but you have to ask
for a quote.

I was just going to ask about IBM boxes. I have a Power Series 400
("Sandalfoot" board IBM 6015-0U0: 66MHz 601, 32MB RAM, 2GB SCSI HDD)
that I've been playing with. However LinuxPPC, Debian PPC/PReP and
NetBSD PReP all hang.

Anyone on the list have any experience getting Linux installed on one of
these beasts? Or *any* 601 PowerPC? I'm wondering if the 601 is the
problem - people seem to have better luck with 603's and 604s, but I
have no experience with PowerPC machines at all.

IBM's website only makes peripheral mention of the 6015 model.
Apparently they were superceded by the 7020 model, and I can find only
*one* 6015 reference by searching IBM (happily, a microcode update that
I needed anyway). I've found a few other mentions of the machines on
google, but people seem to be installing Linux on the more recent 7020s,
not the 6015s, and saying that they're "the same" - yet their
instructions don't work for me.

Yesterday I put NT4 SP1 on it just to make sure the hardware works (no
troubles except initializing the network card), but I have no PPC NT
apps, so it is kind of useless in that state. :(

--
James Z.