Re: suse 7.3 with 64mb ram

Subject: Re: suse 7.3 with 64mb ram
From: Michael Figley (michaelfigley@yahoo.com)
Date: Fri Nov 16 2001 - 21:55:48 AKST

I've had some improvement 5-10% by using hdparm
to tweak disk access performance - an experimental
process and can be dangerous if the "wrong" options
are used.

I copy it to / and then configure for
optimum perf in /etc/init.d/checkroot.sh,
just before fsck -

    # mdf - Added this to setup the HD to use:
    # DMA (-d1)
    # 32-bit PCI IO (-c1)
    # Multi-sector xfers (-m16)
    # NOTE: this requires copying hdparm to / because
    # It's the only thing mounted at this point
    /hdparm -d 1 -c1 -m16 /dev/hda

    echo "Checking root file system..."
    fsck -C $force $fix /
    #
    # If there was a failure, drop into single-user
mode.

BTW, I've got a P120-16MB machine here w/GNOME+Sawmill
it's slow but, faster than I expected...

Michael Figley

P.S.

Hello, William, fellow Talkeetnan!