Re: Package Dependencies

Subject: Re: Package Dependencies
From: James Gibson (twistedhammer@subdimension.com)
Date: Fri Oct 26 2001 - 16:14:05 AKDT

On Fri, 26 Oct 2001 jsaam@mcc-cpa.com wrote:
> Just curious to know if anyone knows of a site I can visit to find out
> package dependencies for custom kernel building --

You're looking for the minimum set of software to compile a kernel,
correct?

You can check the Linux Documentation Project.. I think there is a Kernel
compilation How-To.
http://www.aklug.org/LDP/

Additionally:
The following is my minimum development environment (I don't recall
whether automake and autoconf are critical for _kernel_ development,
but are useful for compiling other software.. especially if you get CVS
sources of much) and should work.. install any *-devel packages if they
exist (these are the headers from a library artificially seperated into
another package so that freaks who don't compile stuff don't need to waste
the space).

glibc
gcc
bison (or yacc)
flex (or some other version of lex)
binutils
gnumake (probablly listed as just 'make')
automake
autoconf

This doesn't count apps which are included in the base install of almost
all distributions. Also, I may have inadvertantly forgotten something else
too..

James Gibson

--
Everything in Unix is either written in C
or has to try hard to pretend it is