Re: Database Conversion

Subject: Re: Database Conversion
From: James Zuelow (jfzuelow@alaska.net)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 22:43:48 AKDT

On Wed, 24 Oct 2001 aklug@aklug.org wrote:

Sorry for no quote, Pine only got the first two digest messages.

I just tested this by creating an Access 2000 .asp page (good 'ole
Northwinds), mounting the directory the .asp page is on with Samba,
creating a link to the Samba mount under document root, and browsing in
from my Windows box with Internet Explorer. Everything seems to work just
fine. I double checked with Opera from Linux, and it doesn't work.

NOTES: Apparently you need to be running a browser that can understand
active-X controls (the Access .asp form) *AND* have the browser set up to
run unsigned controls from that page. If you're at medium or medium-low
security it won't run. I don't have netscape for Windows, so can't test
for active-X that way. I don't think Netscape and active-X get along.
Anyway, probably no *nix clients. :-/

I am able to add, modify and delete records with Internet Explorer 5.5 and
'low' security settings however. If this is a company LAN, that might be
good enough once you set the security for that particular URL.

RedHat 7.1, Apache 1.3.19, Samba 2.2.1a, Access 2000.

 -- James Z.

--
"What is a packet, if its chief good and market of its time be but to route and wrap?" (Amazon.com)