Re: >64megs

Subject: Re: >64megs
From: Tom (thogland@alaskatech.org)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 07:09:32 AKDT

On Sat, 20 Oct 2001 bryan@ak.net wrote:
> Does the kernel (2.2.19 specifically) really require an
> append="mem=..." line with more than 64 megs of ram? And if
> so, on which architectures?
>
> My alpha has been running with 128 megs, and no append= line
> ever since I got it. I just bumped my PC from 64 to 160, and
> tried it out with no append= line, and it works fine.
>
> The line doesn't seem to be neccessary. Is it more a matter
> of avoiding small problems? Or is it obsolete?

I believe it's a matter of "if it doesn't show your memory you need it". I
believe it was some PCs didn't show memory above 256M - I never actualyl
saw this problem myself... I've been running a Proliant with 320M with no
problems, ditto a couple others with 256-384M, all of which see all the
memory with no problem.