[aklug] Linux security in a Windows environment

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Sat Mar 3 16:08:15 AKST 2018

 1)I worked for the State of Alaska in several different capacities
 from 1976 to 1995.

 2)As an employee of the private sector and as a self-employed
 business person, I interacted with the State of Alaska and also
 with various local governments.

 3)Unless there has been a fundamental change in the culture, you
 may find your efforts futile (as in "resistance is futile") and
 they may in fact sabotage your opportunities of having a positive
 experience in this job position. (Institution inertia can be hard
 to change).

 4)You may find working with R in Windows to have some benefits
 (perhaps some unanticipated).

 5)My son used to really love linux and resisted his "assimilation"
 (as in the Borg), but really loves his job with DOT. (Using
 Windoze).

 Having said that, if you give it the best shot with input from some
 the talented sysadmins on this list and don't burn any bridges, you
 can't lose. Good luck!

* Mark Moon <marktmoon at gmail.com> [180303 06:06]:
> As I previously posted, I'm pushing some folks within SOA to get some kind
> of Linux environment in which to run R and be more productive.  IT is trying
> hard to get me to use R within Windows, which I am resisting.  But for
> whatever potential solution I mention I always get the same general pushback
> which is: who is going to support the Linux environment so that it has
> robust security and patches are up to date thereby not a threat to our
> network?  Then they ask, are YOU a Linux administrator???  And then say, we
> didn't think so!  I'd like to educate myself as to what might be the
> security issues involved and what are best practices to manage them.  I was
> hoping someone in the group could point me in the right direction on this.
>
> To be clear, I started on Linux with Ubuntu probably 12 yeas ago, then
> pretty quickly moved to Debian.  Until two weeks ago, used almost no Windows
> for probably 10 years.  Have played a little bit with Arch and a very
> compact distribution (Slacko?).  I have tried to update my system about
> every couple of weeks and have not had any security issue that I'm aware of.
>
> Are there difficult/significant security issues running a Linux environment:
>
>   - on a remote server
>
>   - on a Linux VM on Windows
>
>   - in a Windows Subsystem
>
>   - in a Windows Container
>
> Apologies for not knowing this stuff which is probably obvious to most but
> would very much appreciate any thought on how to gain a better understanding
> of these issues and accepted ways to manage them.
>
> Many thanks!
>
> Mark
>

> ---------
> Mark Moon