[aklug] Recording Vinyl

Tim Johnson tim at akwebsoft.com
Thu Nov 2 16:07:44 AKDT 2017

Forgive me that some of my interest is only peripheral to linux.
I've got a lot of vinyl records that I'd like to convert to MP3.

It does not look like Amazon will ship any turntable to Alaska, so
they are out.

With turntables, there are essentially two options (as I understand
it, as I'm a noob to this issue)

Stand-alone: Such a unit will have its own recording device. I.E.
will record to a flash, thumbdrive or SD card on the unit itself.

USB or RCA input - will have to connect to a computer. I don't have
enough room around my workstation, but could set up with an older
linux computer or netbook as I have a few of them here.

  Some research indicates that there could be compatibility issues
  with some turntables and certain linux software (I would target
  audacity as my first choice for recording).

Any comments or suggestions regarding compatibility issues with
linux?

I live in Palmer and before I go to Anchorage, I'd like to know if
there are any other outlets in addition to Best Buy where I could
look.

Any suggestions as to where to look other than Best Buy?

Oh, and if anyone has come across a turntable that Amazon *will*
ship, please let me know.

thanks
--
Tim