[aklug] Re: FSF Membership

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Dec 30 2016 - 01:25:53 AKST

In order to have a bank account to be able to pay this, we would need to
set a non-profit corporation again. While I have no issues with this
conceptually, our problems in the past have always been that few want to
pay dues or do the work necessary to keep it going. Some have been
militantly against the required dues this needs in the past.

In order to collect dues and not run afoul of the IRS, we need to set up a
nonprofit corporation. Someone has to keep up the paperwork with the IRS,
the filings with the state, the business license.

We did get this set up once a few years ago. Only a couple of us were
donating any money. We did have one person that had the paperwork figured
out. He has since retired to Texas due to medical issues.