[aklug] Re: Radio antenna help

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Dec 13 2016 - 16:50:04 AKST

Reminds me...A couple of weeks ago I had a friend argue with me for 10
minutes about how you had to have a "digital" TV antenna to receive digital
TV signals. In a public venue. The guy is a high school volleyball coach.

I just had to finally shut up to keep from losing the friendship. I later
sent him a link from the FCC's website with step-by-step instructions on
digital TV reception. I haven't heard anything about the subject since ;)

Jim Gribbin

On Mon, Dec 12, 2016 at 10:30 PM Mike <tibor@tibor.org> wrote:

On 12/07/2016 12:47 PM, Hans Thompson wrote:
> Thanks Dave and James. What does SMA or HT stand for? There are just
> so many options when it comes to choosing an antenna and I'm new to
> the whole science of radio that it is difficult to figure out where to
> start.
>
> I've played around with AM/FM, reading utility meters, capturing my
> car key fob, and I'd like to now start capturing satellite
> transmissions but I'm wondering if the dinky SMA antenna I'm using
> needs an upgrade or repositioning. And then if it needs repositioning,
> what's the best way to run the cable out to the antenna. Up to now,
> I've only needed to run around with it connected to the usb in my
> laptop to get good reads.

Hans, when you think about antenna optimization you want to think about
the frequencies you're trying to listen to, not the type of receiver
you're using, or the modulation (AM vs FM). For example, you wouldn't
change out your car radio antenna just because you switch between a
Kenwood and a Panasonic. Nor do you change it out when you change from
AM to FM stations.

Sounds like you've already been successful receiving signals from smart
utility meters, etc. I definitely have to applaud you--you're entering
into the "utility" station listening area, which is one where few people
seem to go. I've had a tremendous amount of enjoyment over the past
decade or so building up logs and schedules of military, diplomatic,
intel, and other transmissions on the HF (shortwave) bands. The only
real difference between what I'm doing and what you're doing is the size
of the antennas involved.

You mentioned satellite--if you're using some kind of vertical antenna
that presents an omni-directional pattern, you're probably going to have
little to no success with satellites--vertical antenna patterns
typically show gain towards the horizon, and a big null overhead,
meaning that they're deaf there. You're either going to want a
directional antenna (and the ability to track the satellites you want to
talk/listen to), or something like a horizontal loop antenna, or an
"egg-beater" antenna. Both of these lack the overhead null that a
typical vertical antenna has, and are much more effective with overhead
signals.

Are you in the Anchorage area? If so, I can help put you in touch with
some Ham radio guys who are very active with satellite work, and could
help you tremendously.

Mike