[aklug] Re: Easy NAS setup

From: Josh <hatlessman@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Oct 28 2016 - 11:23:54 AKDT

Note: Raid5 is not the be all end all. Neither is Raid1. UREs still happen,
and they'll happen right after you replace a drive in your raid. BACK UP
DATA. (Amazons Drive doesn't have a native linux thing yet, but there are
some tools that use its HTTP interface)

Zfs' raidZ2 is pretty sweet though. Constant scrubbing for bad blocks and
two parity sets makes things much more reliable, and freenas will do it.