[aklug] Re: Easy NAS setup

From: Peter Barclay PCNI <admin@pcni.us>
Date: Thu Oct 27 2016 - 10:40:11 AKDT

Install Ubuntu.

Manage CIFS share from the fancy GUI.

Profit.

That's my 2c.

-----Original Message-----
From: aklug-bounce@aklug.org [mailto:aklug-bounce@aklug.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Howard
Sent: Thursday, October 27, 2016 10:38 AM
To: Alaska Linux Users <AKLUG@aklug.org>
Subject: [aklug] Easy NAS setup

Hi list. I was trying to advise a friend about how he could set up his own NAS using a spare tower PC and some kind of free software NAS distro. I know basically how I would do it with various Debian packages; but in his case, I was wondering if there might be an easier approach.
He is mostly a Windows user so he doesn't really understand the command line or how Gnu/Linux works. Is there a distro out there that would allow him to simply install the disks and boot into a CD, and then it would handle setting up the software raid and boot into an easy-to-use file sharing interface?

--
Christopher Howard, Computer Assistant
Alaska Satellite Internet