[aklug] Re: StartCom / WoSign heads-up

From: Royce Williams <royce@tycho.org>
Date: Thu Oct 13 2016 - 20:43:38 AKDT

On Thu, Oct 13, 2016 at 7:03 PM, James Zuelow <e5z8652@zuelow.net> wrote:

> On 10/13/2016 10:30 AM, Royce Williams wrote:
>
> It's strongly advisable to start migrating to another CA if your certs are
> using Startcom or WoSign certs.
>
> https://groups.google.com/forum/?nomobile=true#!topic/
> mozilla.dev.security.policy/BV5XyFJLnQM
>
> juneau-lug.org
>

> No idea why it even has SSL configured...

It's a byproduct of my testing methodology. Basically, I hunt for hostnames
in Alaskan domains, and try to connect on 443. If the DNS A record points
to an IP that answers on 443 for that hostname, it's treated it as a valid
target for testing -- even if the administrative intent wasn't there,
someone can try to connect there with that hostname.

According to my browser, the cert that's there is actually for
vector.xyxx.io, if that helps.

> Hmm. Maybe time for the Juneau LUG to have a meeting. I don't think
> we've had one in eight or nine years.

We should do a joint one over Skype or something. :)

Royce