[aklug] Re: Professional Gnu/Linux Subscriptions

From: Kevin Miller <atftb2@alaska.net>
Date: Tue Sep 20 2016 - 16:02:12 AKDT

On 09/20/2016 02:38 PM, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Hi list. Anybody on the list familiar with Red Hat, SUSE, or other
> subscription-based server distros? My question: If you buy a
> subscription for, say, one year, but you don't renew your subscription
> after that, do you still get access to security updates for the rest of
> the release life cycle?

No - the updates dry up.
For Red Hat, you can substitute Scientific Linux or centOS, which are
just rebrands, IIRC. The updates will come down via those channels.

For SUSE, it's limited to the subscription period. Note too, that the
enterprise versions are usually more limited in scope and have older
(i.e. proven stable) packages. Good for a server, funky for a desktop...

...Kevin

--
Kevin Miller - http://www.alaska.net/~atftb
Juneau, Alaska